Sunday 12 April 2015

soft/hard


These last few weeks I've been busy working away on my new website, with lots of new personal projects up on it. I think I'll show you a few of my favourites, starting with this cloth book Soft/hard which was inspired by Louise Bourgeois, and I wrote about it here.

I really enjoyed the thoughtful, quite meditative process of the stitching, and am pretty pleased with the results. I used a very stiff double-sided iron-on interfacing to help give form to the pages, which feels nice but if I was to do it again I would use single-sided stuff. The way the canvas clings around the stitches makes them quite lumpy-bumpy looking, which is fine, but you know – live and learn!

You can see more images of the project here.

2 comments:

María Heidi said...

did you iron the interfacing after stitching?
in my experience doing it before is better and you don't have to use an embrodery hoop 🙋

Louise said...

Maria - that is such a good idea! I did the embroidery then sewed them into pockets and inserted the interfacing, THEN ironed. Doing it the other way round would have been easier to stitch and given a neater finish. Thank you!