Saturday 12 June 2010






Practical Knitting Illustrated, Margaret Murray and Jane Koster, 1940

My friend Lucy got me this for my birthday ages ago, and I've been meaning to show you. It is both hilarious and useful in equal measures, and includes brilliant captions such as 'Polo neck for a spectator sportsman - as well as the man who swings a golf club or just toes the line for darts. Any man who appreciates ease and comfort and a smart appearance will value a sweater like this'. Unfortunately I am going to have to significantly step up my knitting skills before I can ensnare any sportsmen
with my home-knit sweaters.

7 comments:

lisadrivesavan said...

I am so overwhelmed by how everything on your blog is soooooooo adorable! i found your blog via jazzabelles blog where she featured some of your gorgeous jewelry so thought i'd come take a look! how much is P&P on your items? xx

jazmine rocks @ jazzabelle's diary said...

what a lovely present, i just adore old books.

i have mentioned you on my latest post, i hope you don't mind :)

thank-you ever so much for my parcel, i recieved it yesterday, everything is beautiful.

xxx

alessandra said...

The polo neck for a spectator sportsman is really intriguing...
he he
Ah,I deleted your clones too, it was hilarious ;^D
X

Sarah B. said...

Haha, love it! I hope you do ensnare a sportsman with one of your sweaters :)

Louise said...

Lisa Van - you'll have to check each listing for it's P&P costs, but its usually about $1.80.

Alessandra - thanks! Must have been all that football clogging up the internet!

Sarah B - Fingers crossed x

Zoƫ said...

I love the commentary in those old books, a mix of charm and hilarity. what a fantastic present, your friends know you well x

Ellen van de Sande said...

Aaaahh, the best!! I posted a magazine with vintage knitting patterns a while ago. I love it!

http://ellenturningpages.blogspot.com/2010/06/vintage-knitting-patterns.html